Senior Companion Program
302 S. Union, Decatur, IL 62522
The Dove Senior Companion Program (SCP) provides individuals who are 55 years of age or better, who reside in Macon County, and has a fixed and/or limited income
Senior Companion volunteers provide services to seniors in the person’s home and help senior adults achieve and maintain the highest possible level of independent living. Volunteers are also available to assist families in need of Respite.
Can you be a Senior Companion? Senior Companions are:
- At least 55 years of age or better and and live in Macon County
- Can volunteer at least 20 hours per week
- Have a fixed or limited income (in order to be eligible for the hourly stipend and other compensation)
- Volunteering leads to new discoveries and new friends. Plus, studies show that volunteering helps you live longer and promotes a positive outlook on life.
As a Senior Companion, you will receive:
- A Non-Taxable/Non-Reportable Hourly Stipend-$3.00
- Mileage/Transportation Reimbursement (requirements apply)
- Supplemental Accident/Liability Insurance while Volunteering
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and/or Sick Days
- Paid Pre-Service and On-Going monthly in-service training
You do not need medical or technical skills to be a Senior Companion. All you need to know is how to be a friend and the desire to help another. Senior Companions offer senior adults contact with the world outside of their homes and to help make their lives less lonely and combats isolation.
The SCP Advisory Council meets monthly to discuss ideas for effective program practices and receive suggestions about how SCP can creatively provide tangible benefits to meet the needs of our homebound seniors and adults and families in need of respite services. The SCP program receives funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service, fund-raising projects, and generous individuals in the community.
What do Volunteers do?
Volunteers are paired with homebound seniors. Activities may include
- Friendly visiting
- Preparing a light meal
- Help make a grocery list, or run to store
- Encourage movement and socialization
- Medication reminders
- Check in by phone
- Share community resources
- Offer respite services to family caregivers
Why be a SCP Volunteer?
The Senior Companion program recruits’ volunteers to give friendship and assistance to homebound seniors that have difficulty with daily living tasks. Senior Companions are also able to help provide family caregivers much-needed respite so they can take care of themselves.
The time you give and satisfaction you receive comes back to you many times over. You will have the opportunity to remain active and involved which promotes a healthier lifestyle, share your skills and knowledge with homebound seniors while earning a stipend. Meet new people and make new friends, and you will be helping someone’s elderly mother, father, sister, brother… combat the isolation that comes with the inability to leave one’s home ensuring safety and services they may need are available and accessible to them.
SCP provides volunteers with additional accident and liability insurance while they are volunteering. Volunteers are the most valuable resource of this program, they are appreciated daily, and formally recognized for their dedication.
How do I Join?
Call our SCP Coordinator Kathy Walters at 217.428.6616 to see if you qualify.